Super Bowl Snacks for Medical Weight Loss Participants
January 25, 2018 at 8:36 AM
Super Bowl parties are notorious for providing guests with enough chips, dips and beer to tempt even the most determined medical weight loss participant. Knowing this, prepare yourself with healthy snack alternatives to make resisting temptation a bit easier. These game-day snack recipes were created by our weight loss experts to help you stay on-track and committed to your journey.
by Peace Love and Carb
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms (About 20)
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
(Regular 1 tbsp / Reduced Fat 2 tbsp = 1 fat serving = 5g fat and 45 calories)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- a few sprigs Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- De-stem mushrooms and finely chop the stems.
- To a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add chopped mushroom stems, Italian sausage and garlic. Cook until sausage is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Mix until well incorporated.
- Once the sausage has cooled, add it to the cream cheese mixture. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Spoon heaping mounds of the stuffing mixture into each mushroom cap. Bake on middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese over the top of mushrooms. Broil on high 3-5 minutes, or until Parmesan is a nice golden brown.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Net Carbs: 7g
- Chop all veggies fine.
- Add lime juice, cilantro, and salt, adjust to taste.
Serving Size: 1 (210 g) / Servings Per Recipe: 6
Calories 37.2 / Calories from Fat 3
Total Fat 0.3 g / Saturated Fat 0.1 g
Sodium 8.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8.3
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 1.6 g
4 oz cooked shrimp served chilled = 1 serving
Calories = 112
Walden Farms Seafood sauce for dipping or fresh lemon wedges
MWLS Buffalo Chicken
Ostrim Chicken Buffalo Wing Snack Sticks dipped in Walden Farms Ranch or Bleu Cheese Dressing / Bleu Cheese dip.
Caprese Meatballs (Low Carb & Gluten Free)
A fantastic low carb meatball recipe inspired by the Caprese Salad.
Yield: 16 meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (½ cup of 50% - 70% Reduced fat or Fat Free Cheese = 2oz protein)
- 2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for frying (can substitute Pam spray for less fat. 1 tsp of oil = 5g fat and 45 calories)
- Combine all ingredients except the olive oil in a medium bowl, and mix thoroughly. Form into 16 meatballs. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick saute pan. Add the meatballs to the hot oil about 1 inch apart (you may have to do two batches) and cook over low/medium heat for about 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Because the cheese melts out a bit, be careful that they don’t burn – if they appear to be getting dark quickly, then turn down the heat and cook them at a lower temp. Serve alone, with marinara sauce, or on skewers with fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
Approximate nutrition information:
Per meatball: 78 calories, 6g fat, .5 net carbs, 6g protein
Per serving (4): 310 calories, 22g fat, 2g net carbs, 26g protein
Spicy Dry Rub Chicken Wings - Oven Baked
Tired of wings drenched it hot sauce? This recipe for dry rub hot wings uses a seasoned blend of dry ground peppers which can be made as hot as you like.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
Total Time:45 minutes
- 2 pounds chicken wings about 20 wingettes & drumettes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper more for hotter wings
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- Dry wing pieces with paper towels to remove excess liquid.
- Place wings in a large bowl and rub olive oil evenly into each piece.
- Combine all seasonings in a bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the season mix onto the chicken wings and rub in. Flip wings and sprinkle remaining half onto wings and rub in.
- Place rack over shallow baking pan with sides (line pan with foil for easy cleanup). Place seasoned wings on rack.
- Bake at 350 degrees °F for 20 minutes, flip each wing, then bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn oven broiler on low and broil for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Serve with celery and blue cheese dressing if desired.
Makes 5 servings
Nutrition per serving:
2g net carbs
PB2 Greek Yogurt
By Katie @ The Casual Craftlete
- 3/4 cup plain Non-Fat or Low-Fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon PB2 (Banana flavored or Regular)
- Drizzle of honey
- Apple Slices
Read more at The Casual Craftlete
PB2 Dessert Crepe
Preheat a non-stick skillet at low heat. Stir contents of one pouch of Proti pancake mix in 100 ml (1.8oz) of water. Pour in the skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Make 2 tbsp of Chocolate PB2 and spread on one sie of the crepe. Add sliced strawberries. Roll up and cut into ½ " thick slices.
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »